06 October 2008

Imagine College


Saturday morning I went to Seaside High School at 8am to help with a really cool thing. A group called "Imagine College" formed many years ago to encourage Seaside kids to go to college and do something with their lives! Many students in Seaside do not even consider college a possibility, so with the help of many volunteers every freshman at Seaside High School's home was visited and presented with a packet of information.

If the students kept at least a 2.5 GPA, attended two summer institutes at CSUMB, and graduated from Seaside High in 4 years they would get $4,000 for college AND if they met those requirements they would automatically be admitted to CSUMB upon applying. I and my partner, Highland's Principal, went to four homes and got to talk to two families. One of the families was shocked and amazed that someone would want to help them. You could really see the light in the eyes when we told them to "Imagine College."

I was proud to say that many of King Teachers spent their Saturday morning walking home to home inviting students to stay in school and go to college. As I type this I laugh. A few years ago I probably would have thought this was a great thing, but I'd never be involved. Is my mindset changing? Goodness...I feel like I am really becoming a teacher. I'm not sure how I feel about it!

Out of all the schools--King had the most teachers represented! Go Panthers!

King Panthers love to Read!
King Panthers will succeed!
King Panthers go to college!
King Panthers get lots of Knowledge!

No comments: