26 October 2008

England.

After my adventure to Cologne I was able to spend Thursday night with Michal, enjoying every last moment with her! Friday morning we woke up, went to breakfast and then I crossed the street and caught a train to Frankfurt Flugenhafen (airport). Silly me got on the wrong train. When typing in the directions I put Frankfurt Main Station, and not the airport train station. I was a little stressed out (to say the least) when I realized that I was at the wrong station and somehow needed to figure out how to get to the airport. I decided to be brave and started asking people who looked like they were going to the airport for help. I would approach someone, smile really big and say, "Excuse me, do you speak English?" It turns out that everyone looked like they were going to the airport, but really where just catching a train. Ah! So God brought a really nice American guy into my path who was married to a german gal and could read some german and speak it. He was such a gentleman and let me basically follow him to the airport. It was about a 20 minute journey in all--trying to figure out which train to get on, figuring out the tickets and then the journey itself.

So anyway, I checked in and then waited about 20 minutes in the Syngapore Airlines line. (I was suppose to be on Luftansa.) Oops. I eventually got on my flight and 2 hours later landed at Heathrow. I was glowing. I don't know how to describe it. Getting off the plane and stepping onto England land was glorious, listening to the people's voices and hearing the beautiful accents was wonderful. God has given me such a love for that little country and it feels like home everytime I arrive. I went through customs and the officer asked me, "What is the purpose of your visit to England?" My answer: "I LOVE YOUR COUNTRY!"

He didn't ask me anything else and let me go on my merry way. I picked up my luggage and walked out to see Jenny and Sarah waiting for me! If you have seen the movie, Love Actually, theres a few scenes at Heathrow Airport where people are meeting family and friends who have just arrived. That's exactly what it was like.

Jenny drove me to her house where we had some tea and then went to pick up Charlotte from school. The Wilshers are such a cool family. When I first met Elliot and Jenny they had a little 2 year old-Charlotte. Both are servants in the small church. Elliot uses his technical skills to design websites for missionaries and churches while having his own business. Jenny uses her gifts to be a mom, and wife who supports the church. That little description isn't giving them justice, but its a good start. They also now have a cute little girl named Sarah. If you look up the word "Cheeky" in the dictionary there is a picture of Sarah.

So we went to Rob and Joanie Dingman's home where I would be sleeping. Rob was packing up to go to a Calvary South Africa Conference, so I got to see him for a few hours before he left. They also are so special to me. They are a missionary family from Seattle, Wa. They have two beautiful girlies--one is in 4th grade and one is in 7th.

They work so hard serving people day after day after day. They are so generous and give so much of themselves to people. They live so close to LHR (heathrow) that they get so many calls from strangers asking to stay at the Dingman's for a night, or a worried parents calls from America about their child-there was a complication with a flight and a young christian who is away from their parents needs a safe place to go for a week. People google Calvary Chapel London and somehow find the Dingman's phone number. So, I stayed at Hotel Dingman and literally went to sleep smiling. =)

I woke up Saturday morning and rode into Kingston-upon-Thames on the 111 where I did a quick shopping trip and sight seeing adventure. My original purpose was to cancel my bank account I have there, because its more of a hassel than help, but I couldn't. Closing it would have been closing a special part of my life--so I put some activity on it where I got out 5 pounds. Now the bank account is valid for at least another 3 years. I ran around like crazy enjoying everything before catching the bus back to the Dingmans for a luncheon.

Here's a short video that shows how beautiful Kingston is. Kingston is in Surrey and only 13 miles from central london but a world away. Sorry for the long blabbing.

No comments: