01 July 2008

Colonoscopy

Yesterday I got a colonoscopy and I survived...and don't worry...no gross pictures. The whole thing was pretty gross, but I only remember half of it.

The worst part is the prep. You have to drink this really nasty tasting clear liquid. I was suppose to fast all day Sunday and starting at 4pm I was suppose to 'rapidly' drink 8oz of this liquid every 10-15 minutes. Instead of rapidly drinking it, it took 30 minutes to drink 8oz. I am a huge whiner though. By 11pm I was suppose to 3/4 finished drinking the liquid. I was about almost half way.

I was then suppose to get up at 5am and finish drinking the rest of the cocktail. I got up at 6 and drank 2 cups and then said forget it. No more....

My dear friend Janet took me in and waited the whole time. The second worst part of the procedure was putting an IV in me. They couldn't find any veins. They poked me and then would say, "Darn it I blew the vein." I heard that from 4 different nurses, so they finally brought in Dr. Luba. He tried the top of my hand, which HURT a lot, and blew two different veins. He then went in my right wrist and blew 4 veins before finally getting an IV in. It took 45 minutes!

I went into the operating room where it was freezing. They gave me 4 blankets put some medicine in me and within 10 seconds I was out. I woke up 30 minutes later and the procedure was finished.

Katie Couric's husband died of colon cancer at the age of 48, so Katie went and had hers done on national television. If your at least 50 you need to get one done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GRETA!!! I am praying for you!
Love, Sara