03 November 2008

Exciting Weekend

This weekend I drove up to my Grandma's house located in St. Helena in the beautiful Napa Valley. She is 88 and has had leg complications for awhile now. She still lives by herself but is one amazing lady. I was there and I told my Grandma to wake me up if she needed anything because I don't need that much sleep and I was there to help her.

Well at 1am I hear "GRETA, GRETA get me some orange juice. I am really dizzy and my blood pressure is low. I get her some OJ and then she says, "I think I should press the lifeline button just in case-I do pay $30/month for it."

Now my grandma is terrified of the hospital or 911 calls so I knew it was serious when my grandma suggested we call lifeline, which then called 911 for us.

Sooner than later I had a firetruck and an ambulance driving up and down the long road looking for my grandma's house. I did some morse code blinking the porch light on and off and finally they all arrived. They took the blood pressure, checked her heart with a cool machine and had her walk. They all decided she was fine and went off on their merry way. I told them to be thankful they got their hour back that evening.

So the next day I try to leave around 2pm and once I get on the Highway to travel out of town I notice my steering wheel is acting up. I pull over only to find out I have a flat! OH! I was annoyed. Thankfully Grandma had Triple A so I called and the man came, changed my tire and directed me to my owner's manuel about how much I can drive on the spare. It said I could drive speeds up to 55mph but try to stay at 50. So I had normally a 3 hour drive and so by the time I got home it had taken me about 4 hours.

Here is the bad news. It was dark and foggy after a certain point so I decided for safety reasons to drive with my hazard lights on. People were zooming past me and it was scary only being about to go 50 in a 65mph zone. A mile from my exit to home I get the wonderful signal that I need to pull over because a Highway Patrol is behind me. Thankfully he was really nice, but let me know that in CA it is illegal to drive with your hazards on. I told him I was scared and people were driving so fast and because it was dark and scary that I needed them on. He said he just wanted to make sure I was safe because the last time he pulled someone over with their hazard lights on, they were strung ou on lithium. I smiled politely and reassured him that I was not on drugs but a scaredy cat wanting to get home.

What a weekend!

No comments: