06 November 2008

Macaroni and Cheese


I forgot to post this earlier, but here is my awesome Halloween costume fully complete. Last year I was looking and looking for my Macaroni, but this year I found her! I'm sure you could only imagine how hilarious our Kinder and first grade babies thought this was along with their parents! I wish you could see my feet. I had yellow socks and bright orange birks.

So yesterday as I was walking my students out front afterschool I ran into a 5th grader who was writing #1 Obama on many's faces with a marker. I took the marker away and let her know it was not appropriate. 5 minutes later I caught her again with another marker. I called her by name and let her know if she did not come with me to talk with her teacher that she would be in bigger trouble than she already was. After I talked to her teacher, this student (African-American 5th grader) called me a 'cracker' as I was walking away. I googled the term and it came up with: "Historically the word suggested poor, white rural Americans with little formal education."

So when the referral was written up and the principal was talking to her about her attitude, this 5th grader justified her name towards me by telling the principal that because I was a cheese for Halloween and crackers go nice with cheese that it was OK. I know its bad and disrespectful and horrible and rude.....but it definetly put a smile on my face. lol.

Proverbs 26:12 says
12 Do you see a man wise in his own eyes?
There is more hope for a fool than for him.

My King students have so much to learn and my prayer is that they do not continue to wise in their own eyes.

No comments: