18 January 2009

Portland


I realized I never even let you know about my recent trip to Portland. I had gotten home from our Christmas celebration in St. Helena and Sacramento and was sitting restless for just two days. Over my breaks I feel like I really need to get on an airplane. Some people are addicted to alcohol or drugs, but for me-its travel.

My friend, Tai, called me on Monday afternoon and we caught up and she casually asked me what I was doing for New Years. I was on the phone and quickly looked up some flights to Portland while chatting. I said something about coming up there, and she said YES! So...I booked the flight. I had had this desire to go back to the Pacific Northwest for sometime, hoping it would be Walla Walla, but Portland filled the desire for awhile.

Tai is a dear friend from high school. The last time I saw her was five years ago while in London. She had spent 2 years in the peace corps and relocated to Portland where she teaches Kindergarten in Vancouver.

Portland was really cute with tons of little shops and places to go out for drinks or to eat. Tai took me to a Lebanese restaraunt and an African restaurant to name a few. We spent a lot of time in Powell's Book Shop, where I barely explored just a few sections. I could spend weeks in that place. We walked around the city and just enjoyed catching up.

The best part of all was that it snowed! It had been cold and we went to bed, and woke up with white ground! It was awesome.

I also was to see Klickitat Street in Portland. If anyone ever read any of the Ramona Books by Beverly Cleary you'll recognize it too. :-)

No comments: