19 January 2009

Happy Birthday Martin Luther King Jr.


This morning's message at church was about being one body but having different members and parts. Just like each part of our bodies are important, each part in the body of Christ is also important. Dr. Martin Luther King was a pastor and my guess was that he probably loved this bit of scripture.

Probably because I teach first grade and I teach my kids about Martin Luther King Jr, I remember every year how important it is for people to be accepted into our society.

I tried to teach my kids how awesome it is that black, filipino, mexican, white, vietnamese, and brazilian can be in one class, and that this was not always the case.

I tried then to take a picture to show all the different shades of colors represented in the classroom.

Of course they all fought to have their hand on top, (while my principal was observing) which defeats the purpose of the entire lesson, but hopefully the lesson will stick with them?

1 comment: