28 March 2009

Spring Break 2009

My friend Stacy and I left last Monday morning at 6am to drive down to Long Beach to catch a Carnival Cruise to Catalina and Ensenada. It was a great time to get away. I slept, didn't think about teaching, read an entire book and hung out with Stacy.

It was a very uneventful drive, minus the time I got pulled over. A cop got behind me and stayed behind me for awhile, he pulled out next to me, and then slowed down, got behind me, turned on his lights and pulled me over. Stacy started praying hard-core and I kept my hands on the wheel. I rolled down the window and said, "What did I do wrong Officer?" He told me I did nothing wrong, he just wanted to let me know my gas tank was open. Cops aren't usually that nice. It sure scared the crap outta me, but thankfully no ticket only a helpful suggestion! Phew!

We got down to Long Beach by 11:30 and were able to meet up with Jaime and Andrea for lunch. I got to deliver their Christmas presents that I never sent!


Next we headed out to the boat, parked our car and went through the registration to get on the boat! Our room was small but we had a great window that allowed us to look at the ocean the entire trip. The first night we were pretty much passed out by 9:30-it was so nice to be away!

Alwyn was our cabin steward who made us cool towel animals every night. He was from India and is on the 4month/2month on the boat off the boat schedule. One of the best parts of being on the ship was that our entire cruise staff was international.





Tuesday morning we parked out in the ocean and we were able to visit Catalina Island. It was beautiful. It looked like Pacific Grove only on an island. We got some great photos, walked around and went back to the ship. There was a little boat that took us from the boat to the shore.




Wednesday morning we woke up in Mexico. Stacy and I took a $3 bus to the town centre where we took another bus to La Bufadora where we had hundreds of Mexican Natives attack us to buy things.

Stacy and I would begin to go into a shop and then about 5 different people would come at us in all directions offering us perscriptions, purses, wallets, clothes, churros and even boyfriends.

We would go into a shop and when people would attack us we'd leave. I really wanted to buy a purse, so we finally went into one shop and took matters into our own hands. We walked in and firmly (haha) told the poor guys that if they bothered us that we'd be outta there faster than we walked in, and if we had any questions we'd ask them. It worked and I got myself a real leather fake branded Dolce and Gabana purse! woo!

I then had some fish tacos, and we boarded back on the bus, went into town and walked around before getting back on the boat.

I was excited that there was a Starbucks and I was able to buy an Ensenada mug to add to my collection of mugs from around the world!


Thursday we had all day on the ship and arrived back in Long Beach at 6am where we drove home around 9.

Stacy had her camera with her more than I did, so when she sends me some I'll post them!

If you've never been on a cruise before, you should check them out! They are super cheap with all food and lodging free, because the cruise assumes that you'll spend at least $100 on drinks, a couple hundred on gambling, another hundred or so on excursions, $50 on photographs taken by a professional on ship, etc etc.

If you are cheap like me, you only pay gratuities and you're good to go!

On Friday morning the cruise people put our bills under our doors and some of the bills were half way in the hallway, so of course I looked! Thanks to the drunkards across the hall who spent $750 onboard and to others like them--cruises are cheap!

=)

No comments: