12 March 2009

Pink Slip Friday

So God had me totally prepared for my pink slip I got last Friday and I have such a peace about it. We sang a song at the Chris Tomlin concert called "God of this City" and I felt that God had really pressed on my heart the missionary call, but to reach out to my peninsula. God is bigger than pink slips or financial trouble of any kind. But more important than that is that God has so much work to do in my community and communities.

So yesterday I had to go to a meeting where I would be meeting with a lawyer that the Teacher's Union supplies us with. Before yesterday I wasn't too worried about the whole hearing process, but when the lawyer started throwing out judicial terms and talking about how we might have to testify, it finally hit me! This is kind-of a big deal, especially to those without hope of Jesus in their lives. Please pray for a peace with the teachers who received pink slips.

(I don't know why they call them pink slips because it was white!)

On April 16th and 17th there is a hearing planned where the district pays for a sub and I have to go to a hearing, possibly testify and wait to see if the district does anything wrong so the lawyer can ask the judge to dismiss the lay-offs. Basically, if you are going to get chopped, that's whats going to happen....and the lawyer mess is just a technicality that the union must follow to make sure they are doing their part to protect jobs.

For me, I'm thankful because its two days off! The day off won't be that fun, but at least I'll have a day to make lists, grade papers, etc.

Below is a picture from the meeting where about 85% of the teachers were present. The district's plan is to cut 113 total positions! Wow!



So along that point of politics....There will be an election May 19th where we the people will vote on whether or not the state needs to pay the districts the money that was promised to keep class-size reduction. (20 kids in a K-3 class instead of 30.)

So please VOTE YES on PROP 1B. If not...there will be 30 students in a classroom with an already overburdened teacher with no help.

Also, just pray if anything. I know the district hates doing this, but in some situations they are being faced with, there is nothing much more that can be done.

No comments: