25 May 2009

Koala Lou

If you have not read Koala Lou, by Mem Fox, can I recommend it to you? It's such a cute story about a Koala who loves his mom. Over and over she would always say, "Koala Lou-I do love you!" After the mom has a whole bunch of other koalas, Koala Lou doesn't think that his mom loves him anymore, so he joins the Koala Olympics so his mom will say, "Koala Lou-I do love you!"

We had a long talk in class about how it may not seem like our mommies or daddies don't love us, but really they love us so much and sometimes they just don't know how to say it. We all shared stories of a time when we did something to upset our parents. One kid said he 'organized' his mom's boss' desk. He was in big trouble! Whoops! I told them that if their moms didn't love you, they wouldn't have had you.

To that, my Mary Kate raised her hand and said very sure of herself, "Having babies is hard work." She then started to make pushing sounds and get very dramatic. I tried to hold my laughs in.

I said, "Mary Kate-how do you know what having a baby is like?"

Mary Kate: "I know Miss Dobie. I've had a lot of baby......(long pause).....dolls."

To this she just started cracking herself up, which got me to laugh out loud too.

No comments: